Thursday, April 10, 2008

Meeting other mommies...


Savannah and I ventured out today to lunch with a few other mommies and their children. It's been something I've planned to do for a while, but just haven't been able to get things together (or my nerves up) and actually go.
Imagine my surprise today to find a great group of young women with their beautiful children... and they accepted me even though I had to be the oldest at the table.
I'm embarrassed to admit that on my drive to the restaurant I kept thinking "Are they going to like me?" "Are they going to judge my mothering skills?" "Is Savannah going to be at the same level their kids were at her age (two of the moms had older children and one had a younger child)?"
I can tell you that my fears were quickly eased once I met the first mommy... she was friendly and welcoming. Before I knew it lunch was over and we took all the kids to Pen Park (where Pat and I took Savannah earlier in the week). All the kids had a ball... and Savannah crawled around in the Virginia red clay.
I have to thank my friend, Suze Stucka, who encouraged me to go. She told me that she went through the same thing in her first play dates, but soon realized how much she benefited from being with the other moms.
I found my play date group from a local parent support board, but I also found a resource online if anyone out there is looking for a great way to meet other parents:

www.myplaydate.com

I'm already looking forward to my next play date... and I think Savannah is too.

3 comments:

PaleBlackSheep said...

Good I am soo glad you went! It will do you good to go out and meet other mothers.

It made me feel a little better to know you would be nervous to meet new people too! I have never thought of you as shy before!

Sharon's New Life said...

I'm shy in certain situations and knowing that my parenting skills would be compared to theirs certainly made me nervous.
I'm glad I went though because they were all very nice. Sharon:)

Suzana Stucka said...

Glad that you had some fun, both of you! ;)