Friday, April 11, 2008

Greene Acres...



I went into the bathroom this morning and saw what looked like a toy mouse in our bathtub... and I abruptly turned around and woke Pat to make sure it was a toy mouse and not what I've been dreading since we moved out  to the country.
Unfortunately for me, my fears were real.
Inside our tub was a baby mouse... unlike any I've seen before. Pat collected him inside a container and took him outside saying "He's so cute!" All the while Maggie, our 17-year-old cat, slept on the couch.
We're calling an exterminator after we return from D.C. next week because he didn't pop into the world (or my house) by himself. I've seen numerous dead bodies in my career as a journalist, but the last thing I want is a rat crawling into my daughter's crib or across my toes!
Thinking about this led me to this theme song... and although we didn't move to Greene County from New York City, I think it applies when it comes to rats (and I think all mice are rats!).

Green(e) acres is the place for me.
Farm livin' is the life for me.
Land spreadin' out so far and wide
Keep Manhatten, just give me that country side.

New York is where I'd rather be.
I get allergic smelling hay
I just adore a penthouse view
Dah-ling I love you, but give me Park Avenue.

The chores.
The stores.
Fresh air
Times Square

You are my wife
Good bye, city life
Green(e) acres we are there.

1 comment:

Megan said...

Oh my goodness, I so hate mice. I am like those cartoons where people go Eeek It's a mouse and jump up on a chair, that is me in real life.