Saturday, April 3, 2010

The Croup...


Julius went to bed Thursday night with a little congestion, but woke up several hours later sounding like he had swallowed a seal. My poor little man could barely breathe and it was heartbreaking just to listen to him.
The croup is breathing difficulty accompanied by a "barking" cough and it's most common in infants and children.
I laid him down in our bed, but he couldn't really get comfortable to sleep so we got up and came into the living room. Julius and I managed to get a little catnap here and there and I called the doctor's office as soon as it opened.
Three hours later we came home with Julius and I both beat... he had to get a steroid shot and a breathing treatment to clear his airways. The nurses couldn't believe how much of a fight he had in him and I told them to just imagine what he's like when he's feeling at 100 percent.
I asked the doctor what could have caused it to come on so quickly and she said the croup is going around and there is really nothing you can do to prevent it... but it still makes me sad when I hear Julius all congested!
We came home and both of us took a nap before Pat went in to work... and a day later Julius seems to be feeling better, but he's still congested and loud!
Hopefully he'll be well enough to get out in the morning and hunt Easter eggs... we'll just have to wait and see.

No comments: