Thursday, April 1, 2010

Coupon Mama...


Anyone who knows me knows that I love to clip and use coupons... it's something that always interested me, but it became a habit when Pat and I married. He was the first (and still only) man I knew who used coupons as he likes the products he likes and if he can save some money it's all the better.
Once we married I took over the clipping and sorting of the coupons... not sure it was because I do it better, but probably because I do most of the shopping.
Anyway, I have now graduated from a small coupon container to a large notebook where I keep coupons separated depending on their categories: baby, meat, canned food, boxed foods, dairy, frozen foods, medicine, HBA, cleaning products, household products and miscellaneous items (like cat food for the feral cats).
My goal each week is to combine my coupons with sale items and build my food plan around what is on sale... and most of the time it works well for us.
For example, we went into Harris Teeter on Tuesday and spent $137 on groceries that were originally $250 before coupons and store savings. We were able to triple coupons that were valued at .99 cents or less and they actually paid us to buy several items in our buggy.
So if you're not a coupon clipper I highly recommend it as it's a great way to save a dime (or dollar) or two.

No comments: