Thursday, April 29, 2010

Check-up for Mama...


I went to the doctor last week for my annual physical... well, not so annual as it's been a few years since I had one due to being pregnant or taking care of little ones. Once I had children I seemed to put my own health on the back burner and I haven't been to the doctor since my six-week check-up after Julius was born.
To be honest with you, I haven't been feeling really good lately so I knew there was something going on. I've been very tired and achy no matter how much rest I have and fighting a lot of mental murkiness.
The doctor poked and prodded and took some blood work and I heard the terms diabetes and sleep apnea - two things I would not be excited to have. She told me to take Vitamin D and Calcium tablets and we would wait to see what the blood work came back to show.
Well, my blood work results came back today and I am anemic and very deficient in Vitamin D. The doctor has ordered me to take more Vitamin D and come back in in a few weeks for a follow-up.
The good news is I don't have diabetes and the rest of my blood work looked good.
So now I just have to thicken my blood up and get out in the sun... and hope I start feeling better soon.
The doctor reminded me that I have to put myself back on my priority list as the kiddies deserve a healthy Mama... and I agree.

No comments: