Friday, July 18, 2008

The Way We Were...


I finally got to watch all of "The Way We Were," a 1973 movie about a romantic relationship between two opposites that could ultimately never succeed. I've always caught parts of the movie, but have never watched the entire thing. 
So when Pat noticed it was coming on today I taped it to watch tonight... and it was a great movie.
I saw some of my younger self in Barbra Streisand's character, Katie Morosky. She idealized Robert Redford's Hubbell and beat her head against a wall to oversee his flaws... until they ultimately did the couple in.
I've been there before myself.
I know some people don't like her movies, but I've always found Streisand's work to be good... and I've liked every movie of hers that I've seen.
Watching this movie tonight made me think about how every choice we make in life leads us to where we are now... and all the crazy relationships we have bring us down the road a little farther.
Pat and I always joke about crazy relationships (more his than mine of course), but I know that all of the people in our pasts are what led up to each other.
So if you haven't seen this movie I highly recommend it... and if you haven't seen it in a while than you should watch it again.

No comments: