Saturday, May 10, 2008

My Mama...


I can remember being a little girl and waiting for my Mama to come home from work. Unlike most families, my Mama was the breadwinner and worked long hours for little pay.
I can remember just wanting a little time with her... and not realizing that when she got home she had very little energy or time left to give.  It took me having my own child to fully understand and appreciate all the sacrifices that Mama made for us. 
She gave up her own dreams and wishes years ago and I'm sure there were times when she could have walked away, but she stayed because there were four children to take care of.
I've been blessed to be able to stay at home with Savannah and spend lots of time with her... something I wanted with my own Mama. Pat and I have made a commitment to keep Savannah out of day care as long as we can afford it... something every family has to decide for themselves. 
Mama didn't have the chance to have a lot of time with us when we were kids, but I try to include her in Savannah's life by sending lots of pictures and visiting as much as possible.
Mama raised four children on very little money... and none of us ended up in prison or addicted to alcohol or drugs. We have a strong work ethic, determination to succeed and a desire to have more than our parents had (which is what I think is all she's ever wanted for each of us).
She did something right and I appreciate it... I tell her that all the time, but I wanted to share it with all of you.
 I talk to Mama almost every night so I can check in and see how things are going... she's had a hard year with a work injury, but she continues on.
Happy Mother's Day Mama... Savannah and I will be there in a few days and we can't wait to see all of you. I included a photo of four generations of women on Mama's side... (from left to right) Mama, Grandma, Savannah and Me.
 

No comments: