Sunday, August 23, 2009

Making our way home...


We finished up a wonderful few days in Virginia Beach on Friday and made our way home in the new "Big Red Car."
First, I have to say that our new car is a wonderful driving/riding machine. I loved the Scion, but taking a long trip in the small silver box was hard on the back (especially after having two babies). I can't say that I had any pain in the back (or anywhere else) after driving home in the new car.
We took the long scenic route instead of our normal trip through Richmond. The back roads Pat took my on went through several towns that reminded me of back roads Georgia or Arkansas... just small towns where people were going about their day to day lives.
We stopped at the infamous Virginia Diner in Wakefield for lunch... this is one of the few Virginia restaurants featured on one of my favorite Food Network shows "Drive-Ins, Diners and Dives".
Pat and I both had fried chicken (although I took the skin off mine and gave it to Pat). I had a carrot souffle and baked apples and Pat had macaroni and cheese and mashed potatoes.
Savannah, who is a toss-up when it comes to eating out, helped us eat our food and shunned the $3 grilled cheese sandwich we bought her.
We ordered one slice of homemade key lime pie and it came to the table while I was standing in line in the ladies' restroom. By the time I got back, Pat and Savannah had devoured the sliver of pie... and they said it was wonderful!
Julius, who slept through most of our lunch, then left me a gigantic present in the diaper (yes Mom, you were right about those prunes at breakfast) and I'll always have a special memory about the diner in the years to come.
But I won't say anything else about that....
We also took a side trip to Hopewell, the small town where Pat worked for a year before he made his big move west to become editor of a small newspaper. That fateful decision would one day lead us to each other... so it was a nice place to visit, but I wouldn't want to live there.

No comments: