Monday, November 23, 2009

Thanksgiving Day...


Our little family will be home on Thursday for Thanksgiving as Pat has to go to work that night. This will be a rough week as he will work six days straight and on a holiday week as well.
Life in the newspaper business has always meant giving up some of your holidays to put out the newspaper. When I was a working reporter, I spent many of those 12 years writing on how others enjoyed their Turkey Day (at least 10 out of the 12).
I think it's an easier pill to swallow when you're single or live far away from home. Although I was disappointed when I had to miss a Thanksgiving meal with my traditional family, it was part of the job and I accepted it. It is sad to think that Pat and I have never spent an entire Thanksgiving Day together as he's worked every one of them.
We're hoping the next career fields we enter will be ones that have holidays off.
As Pat looks at his newspapering days coming to an end, we are looking forward to having next Thanksgiving Day together as a family.
In the meantime, I'll share our Thanksgiving Day dinner plans (which I'll be serving around noon and sending Pat to work with a dinner plate.)
Menu for the day is as follows:
Roasted Turkey Breast (no one eats dark meat in this house so we're giving up the whole bird for the best part)
Cornbread dressing (not just stuffing as no decent Deep south Southerner would serve that at their dinner table)
Stove Top stuffing for Pat (because he asked me to)
Green Bean Casserole
Loaded Mashed Potatoes
Rolls
Pumpkin Pie
Cherry Pie

Yummy indeed!

No comments: